A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Grasshopper,
originally uploaded by wilsonsalmanac.
Two paces from my door, three from my computer. He's about 7 or 8 cm long.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a short grasshopper story. While coming home with my family from a trip west to a Dude Ranch many years ago, when daughter Julianne was a young teen, accompanied by her best friend and little sister, Father and me, unbeknownst to me she had picked up a grasshopper in Eastern Colorado, and kept it with her in her shirt pocket and we got out of the car to go to dinner in a very nice restaurant, complete with white tablecloths and linen dinner napkins and cups and saucers at each place, and we ordered dinner. I noticed that Julie had turned her cup upsidedown, and that usually signifies to the waitress that you do not desire coffee in that cup. But, she didn't ever drink coffee! She and her friend, kept raising the cup ever so slightly during the duration of our dinner until finally I asked her why she kept doing that....and she said it was to give Charlie air! I inquired just who might Charlie be, and she said it was her pet Grasshopper, that flew onto her chest in Colorado, and she assumed he wanted to hitch a ride with her to visit Indiana, so she brought him with her and he had already traveled through Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri with us and was looking forward to getting home to our garden. I doubled over with laughter to think I had just had dinner with a grasshopper who was waiting patiently under a tea cup, for us to get back on the road! This is just a tale of travels with Hoosier Hannah!

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home