A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Monday, July 03, 2006

No dolphins, just a cloud

I went to the beach just before lunch today and the first thing I noticed was a pod of dolphins swimming from the middle of the beach southward, just behind the line of breakers.

Near the back of the beach (I mean where the vegetation begins) I stood on a sandhill a bit more than a metre high, to get the best vantage point I could in this relatively flat environment.

Just then about eight dolphins surfed a wave. Behind them, the island on the horizon. Behind the island, a massive bank of thick, white, billowing cumulus clouds. The sun was over my left shoulder. All was perfect. I clicked, the camera worked and I was pretty excited.

Unfortunately, my camera (as much as I think it's briliant) on long distance shots takes a long time with the shutter, and is not great with zoom shots, so all I got was a nice scenic shot of the beach. :: sigh ::

Oh well, here's the cloud from last evening. Better than nothing I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home