A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Thursday, September 08, 2005

I wonder where de boidies iz

Spring is sprung, de grass is riz,
I wonder where de boidies iz.
De boid iz on de wing.
But that’s absoid!
I tought de wing wuz on de boid!


(Click thumbnail to enlarge)

The swallows iz getting very active and I'm trying to learn something about them so I can share it here soon. This one really didn't want to keep flying around the laundry, but there was a big galoot with a camera standing in the doorway.

And if you can tell me where the 'Spring is sprung' poem comes from, I'd love to hear from you. Was it Bugs Bunny? Ogden Nash? The Three Stooges? Marx Brothers? Those would be my first guesses, but I have a hunch it is none of these. (Stumpers-L, the difficult library reference questions list, has more information, but no really conclusive answer. It's actually quite nice to have a mystery or two in life, no?)

Fairfax, my new black/white/grey canary and flatmate, also knows it's Springtime, and whistling to beat the band every day. John and Elizabeth Gould, the Gouldian finches, seem to be getting frisky too. I caught them snuggling up together the other night. I hope they're not thinking of funny business, because I run a clean establishment here and if they had ears, they'd be out on their ear quick smart if I hear even a rumour of any funny business.


Categories: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home