A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Friday, September 02, 2005

Sexing the doodlebug

A rainy day today but there's still plenty of life at Sandy Beach. Evn on the walls of the Ponderosa.

Wikipedia tells me that "Antlions are a family of insects, classified as Myrmeleontidae, from the Greek myrmex, meaning 'ant', and leon, meaning 'lion'. Antlions are small, fully developed larvae being 1.5 cm, and adults being 4 cm. Antlions are omnivorous. The antlion larvae eat ants and other insects, while the adult antlion eats pollen and nectar.

"The antlion is most often called a 'doodlebug'. It gets this name due to the odd winding, spiralling trails it leaves in the sand while looking for a good location to build its trap. These trails look like someone has doodled in the sand and hence the name doodlebug."
Source

Well, there ya go! I don't think they are most often called 'doodlebugs' at all, because I (like most people) don't live in America, something that Wikipedians are prone to forget. In this country, we just call them antlions.

Still and all, they're an interesting creature. When I was a teenager I used to have a few antlions in my bedroom, in a shoebox. Even wrote a poem about antlions. But I was quite grown up -- ancient, in fact -- before I ever saw one flying. I knew the ones in the sand in the shoebox were larvae, but of what I was unaware. So this bloke has paid me a visit just to seal the deal. S/he's rather beautiful is s/he not? I have no idea how to tell the sexes apart and I didn't try very hard. I wouldn't want to bug it.

By the way, there's a whole website devoted to antlions. And that's where this this info about antlions in medieval bestiaries, and this riddle comes from:

Dudum compositis ego nomen gesto figuris:
Ut leo, sic formica vocor sermone Pelasgo
Tropica nominibus signans praesagia duplis,
Cum rostris avium nequeam resistere rostro.
Scrutetur sapiens, gemino cur nomine fingar!

[I long have borne the name of hybrid form:
Both ant and lion I am called in Greek
A double metaphor, foreboding doom;
My beak cannot ward off the beaks of birds.
Let wise men search out why my names are twain.]

which is apparently by St Aldhelm (find him in the Book of Days if you want to know more).

(Click thumbnail to enlarge)

Categories: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home