A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Mr Bluey pays me a visit

Mr Bluey pays me a visit
Mr Bluey pays me a visit,
originally uploaded by wilsonsalmanac.
The Blue-tongue lizard is the largest member of the skink family, and can live to 30 years.

Try as I might, I couldn't get this fella at my door to poke out his fantastic blue tongue when I clicked, except once when all I got was an out-of-focus shot. Yet he was poking it out a lot because of my interference with his daily sun-bathe. Will I ever learn how to use this Olympus camera???

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the picture of The Blue Tongue Lizard! I have never seen such a large lizard. I am a diabetic and was taken off insulin and put on a new injection made from the saliva of a Gila Monster Lizard...whose saliva is poisonous in most cases of being bitten by one, but by science extracting some part in that saliva and formulating a shot for me...it is not poisonous, but stimulates the liver to make just enough insulin for what I eat at a meal.....I take an injection right before eating breakfast and right before eating dinner. When I get hungry for a snack it has to be something high protein like cheese or peanut butter or meat. I thought you might find this information new and exciting...the name of the medication is Byetta and so far I am doing well, except for getting strange urges to sun myself on hot rocks, and feeling hot sand between my toes and flies looking awfully appetizing now....I am fine. LOL Love the nesting lovely birds and the little egg and following the story closely to see the baby!

Love,
HoosierHannah

12:20 PM  
Blogger Pip Wilson said...

Hiya, HoosierHannah,

It was great to read your comment and I'm glad the Gila Monster is helping you. I had a good laff from your comment too. The Blue-tongue only grows to a maximum of about 20 inches in length. If you want to see Australia's biggest lizard, the goanna. I've seen goannas about five feet long but they can grow to two metres. Goannas are quite common in the bush near here, but I've never seen one at Sandy Beach. Cheers, and I hope you stay in good health. Drop by and say g'day anytime.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home