A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Egg Number One

Egg Number One
Egg Number One,
originally uploaded by wilsonsalmanac.
Lizzie Gould has just laid her first egg. I'm sorry to show such a third-rate photo, but perhaps you'll excuse me as this is the first time I've ever had a bird lay an egg and I'm a bit clucky. It's also not easy to get an opportunity to get to the nesting box in the bathroom while they're not taking turns sitting. I hope I'll get chances for better shots soon.

I've expected this egg for at least a couple of weeks as Johnny has been collecting fibres and taking them to the nesting box, which for more than a year neither of them had showed any interest in. Then, about two three days ago, Lizzie's behaviour was very unusual. She was walking around as much as flying, and eating twice as often as usual. Sometimes she would walk right up to me at my desk, and one time she actually flew and landed at my left hand, which is very unlike these scaredy-cat little flying flowers.

Also, about five or six days ago, when I awoke, Lizzie was missing, and Johnny was upset and whistling for her. I found sitting quietly her in a box of junk in the corner of the shack, but there was no egg as far as I could see. She let me pick her up, take her into the other room and place her in the nesting box.

The egg, by the way, is miniscule -- probably only about 12mm long, and pure white. I had no idea what to expect. According to this expert a Gouldian hen lays a clutch of about five to seven eggs. Now I'll be watching for any more nice surprises during the coming week.


(If you also live with uncaged birds indoors, there's a flickr group called Uncaged! Birds in our homes just for you.)

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home