A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Greetings from the banana republic

The humble banana tree is flowering.

Did I say "tree". Well, it ain't a tree, it's supposd to be a herb, of the genus Musa. But it's a pretty big herb if you ask me.

Bananas have a great link to the past, with records of the fruit in ancient Buddhist texts as far back as 600 BCE. It's believed to have originated in South-east Asia, but by 327 BCE had reached as far as western India, because Alexander the Great is said to have eaten the yellow fruit. But although this wonderful fruit was spread through much of the Middle East and Africa in the 7th century and beyond, it was the Portuguese who took it around the world from the 16th century.

This is banana country here. All around here are banana plantations, mostly farmed by the industrious members of the Indian Sikh community who have lived here since WWII and make up a big part of the population of Coffs Harbour-Woolgoolga. So I'm not depending on this "herb" to provide me with one of my favourite fruits; I get them for 50 cents a kilo by the bagload, and eat at least five a day. In fact, a lot of the time I almost live on them.

The family story goes that in my first year of life, which was spent mostly in hospital, about the only thing I could "hold down" was the delicious fruit of this magical herb, so I guess I got the banana bug then. All I know is, that even though I think some more expensive fruits (like mango) are more gourmet, at the price I buy them from Steve the Fruiterer, the banana makes a great staple for your almanackist as it does for millions of people in tropical Africa, America and Asia. Bananas are full of carbohydrates, fibre, vitamins A, B6 and C, and potassium, phosphorus and calcium. I feel damn healthy after being a banana nut for a long time, so they can't be too bad.

Besides, if, like me, you remember the "Food Pyramid" from school, you'll be aware that banana is one of the Four Major Food Groups, along with pancakes, maple syrup and coffee.

And although I'm not depending on this flower, I'm going to have fun over coming weeks watching it magically turn into a bunch of food.

Stay tuned: I'll post updates on the babies as fast-breaking news happens, six paces from the Ponderosa's door.

(Click thumbnail to enlarge)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home