A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Here's lookin' at you, lady spider

This gal is a Garden orb-weaving spider (Eriophora spp), cousin of the St Andrew's Cross spider I wrote about last week. She lives one pace from where I sit, right in front of my face, and I can watch her by day and by night. Nothing between us but the window on the other side of Esmeralda the Computer. Sorry, it's just a crummy webcam shot. That's why the window looks dirty, of course -- it's just graininess.

I just watched her have a very big feed for a lady with a body about half the size of a golfball. They're relatively common and quite harmless, by the way.

(Click thumbnail to enlarge)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hello from Joliet, 40 miles SW of Chicago. The cat and I have been watching a garden orb spider outside my window for several hours. A cicaida got caught in its web, and there was a 1 1/2 hour struggle before the spider was able to subdue it. It's amazing that silken threads I can barely see kept that cicaida from escaping. It's now wrapped in silk, and the spider is feasting.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home