A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Sea squirts Kilpatrick, anyone?

I went for a wade on this beautiful warm day, and saw what I thought was the gaping head of a flathead fish washing up in the surf, no doubt discarded by an angler. A closer examination showed that it was a large old oyster shell, remarkably well-hinged for what seemed to be the time it must have been washing around the shore.

I'm very fond of oysters, and although few will believe me, and I don't blame them, I've seen shells at Lake Conjola on the South Coast at least the size of saucers. I do have a witness, with whom I ate dozens of smaller, but still enormous, NSW rock oysters that day.

I suppose because oysters are one of my favourite delicacies, much scarcer around here than where I was living 12 months ago near the mouth of the Bellinger, I was thinking about them as I rounded what I call Cormorant Rock at the north end of Sandy, when I was surprisedto hear the "peep, peep" of three Sooty oyster-catchers (Haematopus fuliginosus). I thought someone was calling me!

"Peep, peep", not to be confused with the pipi (strange name) molluscs that are well known to Aussies, but rapidly becoming scarcer. I saw one of those on my flaneur today, too, a fine specimen half hanging out of its shell and drinking in the Pacific, as I was metaphorically.

Sooty oyster-catchers are usually found singly, or in pairs, so it was a delight to watch these three, even if the possibility that they might be a ménage à trois does seem a little ... permissive, even to someone as broadminded as I. I've known what nosy neighbours can be like so I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Quite likely one of them is a cousin up from the city. Whatever, they might be respectable, but their red bills are longer than is seemly (especially those of the females), and they look a little silly as they sort of waddle through the shallows on the sand around the rocks.

Funny name for them, though. They don't even like oysters, which is a concept I don't understand. Their idea of a good chew is limpets, chitons, Cunjevoi (sea squirts) and mussels. Mussels are OK, especially those big green New Zealand guys, but give me a big doz of oysters any day. Make it three doz, raw and off the rocks. As for cunji, you can keep it. I wouldn't eat it with your mouth.

Nice picture

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home