A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Monday, February 14, 2005

Better than a poke in the eye

The Draft Development Control Plans for the Hearns Lake/Sandy Beach district is online. Coff Harbour City Council is asking for public submissions.

Sorry, it's a link to PDF files, don't know why. My guess is that a number of years ago some PDF executive had some really dirty info on a politician, because there's hardly a government instrumentality in the land that doesn't unnecessarily inflict these antiquated mega files on the populace. Still, click on one of the links if you're a local, it might be interesting when it eventually downloads next week or thereabouts.

Speaking of council, I've had a reply to my letter concerning some environmental hazards at Sandy Beach mentioned here on January 20. Will reply soon and keep you informed.

I didn't want to come back from my lunchtime flaneur today. With a blue sky and 25 degrees, why would I? There's quite a bit of driftwood, and still a fair bit of kelp today. Not much of it has been at sea for long -- not real good mantelpiece driftwood, more like firewood driftwood. Not keepers. I suppose the recent rain brought the wood down in the creeks and rivers, but it was a little surprising how much there is considering the rain wasn't all that heavy. However, there was a fair bit of wind about for a day or so, and that knocks a lot of branches into the waterways upstream.

It's not often someone introduces themselves to me on the beach, but I weelcome it, if they're friendly. I was wading near the three Sooty oyster-catchers I wrote about recently, watching them and listening to them calling my name, then they flew onto "Cormorant Rock" where they perched a bit lower down than two cormorants, who didn't seem at all bothered. Just then a gentleman came up: "Are you that bloke with the Sandy Beach website?" Thinks I "Oh gawd, who have I upset this time?"

He introduced himself and shook my hand. "I think it's great and I'm with ya all the way!" Better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick. Not that anyone's done that to me lately. It's just not the done thing, not at Sandy Beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home