A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Mylestom sunset

I had to go to town today for a few things, and I picked up some prints off a roll of pix I took last Summer and Autumn on the coast about 40km south of here, a favourite fishing spot of mine.

Click for a late-Summer sunset from the Mylestom tidal swimming pool near the mouth of the Bellinger River. I was living down there last Summer and was lucky enough to be able to wet a line there most sunsets for an hour or two. That's 'my' bench in the foreground.The image that will open (in a new window) is 253kb.

The spot isn't serious fishing for serious anglers, but serious enough for me. I don't know of too many more beautiful places to fish, although there aren't a lot of fish to bring home. Let's put it another way. It's not too hard to catch something, especially bream, but they are still mostly small, or they were a year ago, and I didn't get a feed each night. Until some months before I was living there, the river had been commercially fished for a long time, depleting the stocks, but then the government declared the Bellinger a recreational fishing zone. This means the fish stocks were improving but when I was there, mostly only littlies were in the drink. I expect that by now an evening's fishing will be producing something more akin to a good feed.

Two towers you see have been built on the other side of the river since I first fell in love with the Bellinger River more than 30 years ago. Some well-paid members of our bureaucracy realised the scenic value of Mylestom and found a way to improve it for your benefit and mine. They did an excellent job, don't you agree? And they did it with the help of all of us who said "Go right ahead, you must know best. Plus there are 50 of you and only 20 million of us, and we know when we're outnumbered."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home