A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Friday, January 21, 2005

Free air conditioning and lightshow

At 9.30 pm, the huge sky was cloudless as I sat on the beach on this hot night, except for a big bank of dark nimbus clouds over the sparkling South Pacific and Woolgoolga headland to the north-west. Above the distant storm, the half moon illuminating the top edge.

Chango, son of Yemaya and Orungan, was hurling his lightning bolts with incredible energy and beauty, and a mild 10-knot breeze from the SSW not only cooled me down, but ensured that Chango wouldn't be visiting this neck of the woods tonight.

I'd been to Bellingen today, where they know about hot. By the time I got home, the very best I could do was nap for an hour, then do a little Almanac work and cool myself down on the beach. Bellingen Community Radio (2BBB-FM) is kindly broadcasting the Almanac each morning, and I pre-record these 4-minute spots in big slabs. Since my last session, in December, BBB has gained an air conditioner, something I would have liked when I got home to the Ponderosa. But I got it for free, watching Chango tonight 'neath the waxing moon. Best movie I've seen since Being John Malkovich. The big frog somewhere outside my door is still applauding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home