A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Stars and revellers, New Year's Eve

My night-time photo-taking needs a lot of work, and this is the only shot that half worked out. But I hope you can see a few of the billions of stars. Midnight on Sandy Beach was warm and ablaze with the Milky Way almost at its best, as the air was fairly clear for Summer, and moonless.

There were fireworks, and people throwing firesticks for a while. Hopefully next year I'll get the hang of this camera's night-time potential.

These girls came over to find out what the strange old codger was doing lying on the sand. What he was doing was having the time of his life and his best New Year's Eve for years. Happy New Year, everyone! And this blog is one year old today.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a way to spend New Year's Eve! You did what I love to do in summer and fall here in Indiana, lie on your back and look up at the sky. I am an avid meteor shower watcher and did this for years with my children from the time they were small until they left home as grown-ups. I did it with my grandchildren too, until they outgrew grandma and started to drive a car and go with their friends instead of visiting! But, the solitary viewing of the sky is still just as thrilling. Happy New Year, Pip!

HoosierHannah

3:59 AM  
Blogger Pip Wilson said...

Yes, Hannah, it was a great night for me, one of my best NYE's ever. Thanks for dropping by. Have a great 2006.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home