A Sandy Beach Almanac



You've landed at Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia: Lat. -30.15331, Long. 153.19960, UT +10:00 – local map & zoom Google map. I live in a cabin on this beach, 25 kilometres north of the traffic and shops of Coffs Harbour, 600 km north of Sydney. My intention is to post observations of Nature and life within 1 km (1,000 paces) of my South Pacific home.

 

(This page is designed at the 'Smaller' font setting in the Internet Explorer menu. Other settings might cause layout changes. How to change text size)

Friday, March 11, 2005

Sandy's Beach

I thought I might take a quick look at some of the naming associated with this local environment, not just because it interests me, but because perhaps some readers might have information to add to my limited knowledge.

You can go to MultiMap and zoom in from the continent of Australia, right down to Sandy's Beach Road.

Sandy's Beach Road? Isn't it Sandy Beach Drive? There is a difference, after all. I, and other locals, I believe, call it Sandy Beach Drive. And so said the sign until recently. How many have noticed that the name has changed to Sandy's Beach Road? I have made a note to investigate this with the authorities further next week. Not something to start on a Friday afternoon.

'Sandy's Beach' Road? Well, yes. In fact, I am led to believe that this place is named not for its sand, but for a former resident. Mr and Mrs Graham, only a few decades ago, owned a lot of the land here. Mr Graham's wife's name was Sandy, and he named the beach for her. Unless I'm mistaken, usage has seen the original name drift in only about 50 years. No wonder archaeologists and linguists around the world have such a tough job. Graham Drive, a major thoroughfare, bears witness to the Graham family's association with this neck of the woods.

Speaking of woods, a large number of street names in the local area bear the names of trees, and I hope to come back to this subject over the weekend. Thanks for visiting A Sandy Beach Almanac, and make a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home